Money, Work and Benefits

Money, Work and Benefits

Homes for Ukraine Factsheet about how to get help with money, work and benefits.

You can also print or download this Homes for Ukraine Money, Work and Benefits Factsheet [512 KB] 

Financial Support

Once West Sussex Community Hub have received notification that guests have arrived, a pre-paid card for guests will be posted to their sponsor’s address. The card will be loaded with £200 per person and can be used in a range of shops or in cash machines (ATM’s) to withdraw cash. As a security precaution, the card needs to be activated before it can be used. Once you have received the card, to activate it please email the Community Hub.

Opening a Bank Account

Guests will need to choose which bank will suit them best. For easy access, it may be useful to opt for the bank most local to you. To open a bank account in the UK, guests will usually need to show proof of identity such as passport, biometric residency permit, driver’s licence, or recognised identity card. Some UK banks ask for proof of address although this is not required by law to open a bank account. The UK Government is working with banks to encourage them to relax this requirement.  A number of UK Banks already have a system for opening accounts where you do not have a permanent UK address, including digital banks Starling and Monzo.

If a guest requires proof of address to open their bank account, please contact the Ukraine Support Team using BANK as the subject heading. Please provide details of the information the bank has requested, so that a letter can be prepared.
Further information on how to open a bank account is available on the Citizens Advice website.


The local Job Centre Plus will be able to help guests find out which benefits to access and apply for local employment opportunities. It is important for guests to register with the Job Centre as soon as possible. It is not necessary to have a bank accont in place prior to applying for Universal Credit. It will take around 5 weeks from the date of application for Universal Credit payments to start being paid.

National Insurance Number

Completion of a benefits application will trigger the process to be provided with a National Insurance number


Ukrainian guests arriving under the Homes for Ukraine scheme have the right to work as soon they arrive in the UK. They need to be 18-years-old to work full time. Guests can also register with recruitment agencies and may wish to view online job sites and look in local and national newspapers where jobs are advertised.


If guests have a professional qualification, they will need to have this qualification officially recognised to be able to work in a profession that is regulated in the UK. It will need to be recognised by the appropriate regulator for their profession.

The UK Centre for Professional Qualifications (UK CPQ) is a free service that can provide information to help get qualifications recognised in the UK. You can find more information on the UK CPQ website or you can ring their enquiry service on 0871 226 2850.

Teachers from Ukraine can gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in England by completing an accredited course of teacher training in England. Teachers can also work without QTS in some types of schools known as academies and free schools. 

Community Hub and Ukraine Support Team contact information

For urgent questions and queries please call on 0330 2227980. You can also email (open 7 days a week including weekends and bank holidays from 9.00am – 5.00pm).


Search the catalogue